Thursday, November 12, 2009

new job

okay so i know i said i would put pics up. but i seriously havent had time. I will take one tonight and post it, haha. here is what is new with me.... I started a new job and its really a lot of fun. Its a Japanese hibachi place and sushi bar. Its a lot of work though. It just opened last monday and i have been working everyday. here is what i do...
I get there about ten (nine on wed and Thursdays) First thing i do is get a big pan thats about four inches deep and over fill it with steamed rice get a bunch of eggs and veggies and go put it out on one of the hibachi grills so a chef can cook it (the hibachi grill is when the chef come out and cooks in front of you) then i cut about thirty cucumbers and two huge bowls of lemons and two bowls of tomato's so i can make at least eighty salads (which will only last till about 1230. and we open at 11)
I have to heat up the sauce for... well actually i dont know what its for i just know i have to heat it up.
then i fill all the dressing jars-there is 10. getting the dressing is the hardest part. Why you ask? because i have to get into the walk in and find it. Our walkin is TINY and nothing is where you would think it is. If you ask one of the kitchen guys they will walk in there with no difficulties and get whatever you need like it doesnt weigh eighty five million pounds. when i try to do it i often get stuff and end up tied in a knot trying to lift something. when i finally make it back out nine times out of ten i find out i grabbed the wrong thing... i am getting better. At finding stuff. not at getting stuck. The chefs all think its hilarious.
then i make tea and about fifty or more soups(which again will be gone by 1230) i have to get out the edemame(soy beans) and put them on ice.then i fill all the soy sauce while watching my friend cook the fried rice.
when all thats done i put my uniform on-technically i am sopposed to have it on this whole time... but i dont like to so i dont.- and make sure my tables are clean and all that.
Then we open and its CRAZY! I usually only do hibachi so its not hard. I have two tables that can hold twelve people each and they always have at least ten. I get the drinks then i take there order and go get there salad. which i have to get on this tray thats bigger then me. I have tokneel down to get enough leverage toget it on my shoulder. i am getting super good at it though. I can get it with one hand now. which if you saw this tray you would understand how impressive it is.
I burn myself atleat twice a day on the grill cuz i am not tall enough to reach over it to hand people there stuff. also i forget its hot. Even though i am the one who turns it on...
Then the chef comes out and i watch the show. I still really like watching them. and i have seen over a hundred for sure. I still always jump when my friend slaps the knife on the rim. and when then they throw the empty egg. each cook has kinda there own show. They do a lot of the same but in there own way. Its fun.
At the end of the night we turn off all the hibachis clean up all the rice(which is everywhere) clean all the tea and pop area. I have to clean out the salad cooler and the dessert area and the rice makers. and clean all the trays and all that. pretty much everything idid that morning but in reverse. I usually get out of there at eleven-eleven thirty at night. its a long day.
but we are all friends now. Mostly cuz we all havent had time to have a life, or sleep, so we all kinda lean on each other to make it trhough the day. our poor cooks never stop going. My boss is really cool. He gets stressed during our rushes but by the end of the night hes joking with us. My managers are way cool too. We all goof off together. its a lot of fun. by the end of the night we are all hanging out in the back just munching of whatever the one cook who doesn't talk, well i assume he talks but i have never heard him, made.
Im past the point where im tired and sore and im just numb now. Since last Tuesday i have worked ninety two hours. and lost over ten pounds and three pant sizes. also i have learned that those five hour energy shots really work. I am a kinda bizarre person to begin with and always am kinda going to my own beat. Well when i take one of those i really cant sit still. One of the girls at work asked me why i walk so funny. Haha. I dont. Im just loopy from no sleep and hyper from taking those to stay awake. Haha. But the last couple days i think people have figured it out. cuz they start walking/dancing/whatever you call it that i do right along with me. haha. That or we have all lost our minds.. haha.
I am really enjoying it though. I have even tried Sushi! the raw stuff. It wasn't bad. Im not saying i am going to eat it everyday. but now know i could eat it without dying haha. I am also trying to branch out on eating the sushi rolls. But for some reason those freak me out. probably cuz the chefs keep freaking me out by walking up behind me with crabs and squid and octopus. ggggggaaaaagggg.
So today is my first day off. And i couldn't be more excited. But i have no idea what to do. I am going to clean my house and go get my nails done. and i probably should go grocery shopping. and not put any makeup on. haha. but i feel kinda lost. Its weird. I will put pics up of my uniform tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I just don't know if I could handle that kind of work. I guess that is why I stay home and leave tha kind of work for people like you! You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make my nine hour work day sound like a breeze. I'll take my library over your restaurant any day (much quieter, even with story time).

    ReplyDelete